Any of you that follow me here or especially on Instagram may already realize that I am all about the dranks. Whether they're boozy or non-boozy, caffeinated or non-caffeinated I definitely love my beverages. I love looking forward to them every morning (hello coffee), I love drinking them (feels eventful!), I love taking pictures of them (oh hi, IG), I love 'em. So I thought I'd share some of my favs and explain a little why they are just that.
Disclaimer: I know that pretty much all of these are sugary, empty calorie, generally not very good for you beverages but this is supposed to be fun people. And everyone knows all the good stuff is bad stuff. So don't drink all of these in the same day, or more than one at a time or you know, overindulge 'cause that will lead you down a road no one really wants to go, ok? Ok.
1. Starbucks Iced Chai Tea Latte! Oh my god I crave these on a daily basis.. and used to drink them that often. The special thing about this drink for me is that the flavor compliments any season. Yes, I know, I live in Hawaii and we kinda don't have seasons (yes we do- rainy and not rainy) but it does get hot and what we consider to be "cold" and that makes it feel a little more like summer or a little more like winter... you get the idea. The spice in this chai feels fresh in the spring and summer, pumpkiny in the fall and Christmasy in the winter. It's perfect. I only drink it iced, even when it's cold, but that's how I like all of my drinks. I also only drink it with a straw, even if I pour it into a cup at home.
Suggested tip: pair with cute sandals, sunnies and a good Pandora station like The Whitest Boy Alive (my current fav) or Phoenix and you've got yourself a morning in paradise. Even better if you can get to grass or sand.
2. Royal Mills Iced Cappuccino! This is my go-to at home drink of choice. I will only drink one per day, which contains 170 less calories than if I were to indulge in an iced chai, and it is de-lish. I always always always pour mine into a coffee mug because it tastes a little bit metal-funky straight out of the can. Because this is a coffee drink waiting for me right downstairs in my fridge I seriously wake up for this shiz. The second I open my eyes I look at Rowan and think "how'd I get so lucky?" but the next second I think "can't wait to get that coffee in. muh. belly!" and we hurry downstairs to make a mug and sippy cup full of goodness. Sippy cup of milk, mug of joe, you get what I mean. I genuinely look forward to enjoying this coffee on the couch with my little sleepy-eyed ladybird and relishing in it's smooth, ever so slightly nutty flavor. There are also three other flavors of Royal Mills Iced Coffee that I know of: Mocha, Kona Black and Coffee. THEY ARE DISGUSTING. I don't know how they went so wrong with these three but so damn right with their Cappuccino. Don't bother trying out the others, srsly.
Suggested tip: pair with a silk robe, cuddly kid, a good book or while watching Kathie Lee & Hoda on the morning Today show and you've got yourself a reason to become a "morning person."
3. Iced Lemon Water! You guys, I used to never drink water. It was bad. I pretty much lived off of coffee (I worked at Starbucks, so I practically injected caffeine directly into my veins every day for a couple of years) but after a while I started becoming more health conscious and concerned with my dry skin and lack of sleep. So, I became friends with water. I actually really love chugging it all afternoon and I even set the alarm on my phone to go off every hour, at which time I chug another 8oz, with lemon juice, about 7 times a day. They say you're supposed to drink 8-10 8oz glasses a day but really, if you're drinking other liquids as well, I think 7 will suffice. Then again I'm no nutritionist so don't listen to me. Drink 8 glasses! Anyway I noticed a drastic change in my skin and feel like it's another little step I've taken to becoming a healthier person, so kudos to me.
Suggested tip: pair with ice because your body has to expend energy to heat cold water to body temperature and that means you're burning a few extra calories a day, a lemon wedge because it feels fancy, a tuna lettuce wrap and some almonds and grapes and you've got yourself a quick, healthy, yummy lunch and won't feel bad when you sit in front your tv for 45 minutes later that day to catch up on The Vampire Diaries, or whatever. Also: Don't take recipe/meal/food advice from me 'cause I'm still trying to figure that part of life out.
4. Thai Iced Tea! I hardly ever enjoy one of these bad boys because I only ever order one when we eat at a Thai restaurant, which isn't that often, but I LOVE THEM. They're smooth but filling, so don't drink an entire glass before your meal arrives at the table. I know it's the bomb, but pace yo'self. You're probably only going to want one with your meal but that's a good thing 'cause I'm sure this is packed with empty calories, as are most of the drinks I love (sorry!). This is just my special every-once-in-a-while treat that I look forward to on take-out nights at our household and really there's not much more to say other than try it if you haven't already the next time you're at a Thai restaurant. You're welcome.
Suggested tip: pair with spring rolls, yellow chicken curry, sticky rice and a straw because I said so.. and also because if you sip it straight from the cup and the ice falls from the bottom onto your face causing your orange Thai iced tea to spill all over your white shirt you can't say I didn't warn you.
5. Fresgria! This is the best cocktail ever! My mom got me hooked on it while she was here visiting and I love her even more for it. There are no calories in Fresca (!) but it tastes way better than any other "zero calorie" drink. I pour in just a teeny bit over half a small glass with Fresca before adding The Real Sangria (my favorite ready made sangria out there) the rest of the way. That makes it under 100 calories which is awesome because I don't want to regain the 5lbs I just lost. Anyway, this drink is super tasty and is red and pretty and feels kinda guilt free so, win!
Suggested tip: pair with a small Mad Men style old fashioned glass, lipstick, three ice cubes, a good/bad reality show like The Real Housewives or The Bachelorette and your mom by your side and you've got yourself a fun girls night in.
6. CPK's Raspberry Lemon Drop Martini! This is probably, taste-wise, my favorite cocktail of all time. Plus it reminds me of when D and I first started dating and used to go out to eat there all the time 'cause it's my favorite restaurant. It was the most delicious buzz to get before spending all of my money at Forever 21 and having even more good reason to tightly hold his hand throughout the mall, hardy har. But seriously, I pretty much never order these anymore so I was really excited when I found CPK's exact recipe online and made them at our clothing swap party last week!
Suggested tip: pair with either a group of girlfriends, out to lunch, gossiping, wearing high heels and recreating your favorite Sex and the City episodes in real life OR with your man, at the mall, before spending money and trust me all of those outfits will look effing fantastic on you in that dressing room. Git it gurrrl.
7. Twinings Earl Grey Tea! This tea is also available in decaf and I lived on this stuff in the earlier months of my pregnancy. It's the only drink on this list (or at all, really) that I prefer hot and I add a tablespoon of sugar-free vanilla coffee creamer or almond milk to it. This is my throwback drink. You know, the taste that takes you back to another time and makes you feel all those feelings that you felt again. It's my little time machine. Whenever I'm feeling nostalgic about our first home together, or the pregnancy, or Rowan being super brand new, I turn to this tea and feel a couple of years younger. Gotta love the power of the senses.
Suggested tip: pair with some kind of milk or sweetener unless you're hard core and drink straight tea, a cute to-go tea cup like this one, a rainy day, your husband's hand and a drive around the neighborhood while listening to Feist or Mirah and you've got yourself a new happy memory to remember and re-live later down the road.
So there you have it! My favorite drinks and why I love them... let me know if you try any of them for the first time after reading this and how you like them! Have fun making memories.